Friday, February 24, 2012

Silver and Gold



These are my rings. They are not extravagant.
They do not sparkle with jewels, one is silver and one is gold.
They are well worn, scratched up, bent, and mishapen.
They are plain and simple, no self respecting thief would bother stealing them.
One was given with love and represents a vow I took ever so long ago "to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; until death do us part."
The other represents a lost treasure that when found was unwanted by anyone but me.
Sometimes I forget how precious they are, and view them as the world would see them, ordinary and nothing special. All it took to remind me was a tiny girl touching my hands and saying "pretty", because to her they are beautiful and amazing, unlike anything she's ever seen.

I think people are a lot like that. To the world they may seem ordinary and nothing special, but to God they are beautiful and amazing. What would happen if we saw everyone in our lives like God sees them? Even more amazing is what would happen if we treated them with love as the beautiful beings God created. Can you even imagine how incredible that would be? How many problems in this life would cease to exist if we treated others like God treats us? How many broken hearts and broken people could we heal? How many relationships could be mended if we treated the other person as being a precious gift to be cherished and not as something disposable, returnable, replaceable? I can only imagine. I have made that mistake before myself, it is something I will always regret.

No comments:

Post a Comment